From a short-list of five there were three who I would have been happy to hire. Each of the three planned to complete the job using similar materials and methods.
There was not much of a difference between the actual quotes so that was not really a determining factor.
In the end I decided on Chris's company because the quote was slightly more detailed (clearly pointing out the guarantees), and communication was more timely.
Once hired Chris quickly scheduled a convenient date for the work.
The men (Mick, Jay, and Kieran at various times) arrived on time and completed the work with a minimum of disruption and fuss. Fortunately the job turned out to be straightforward and was completed within a day leaving the site clean and tidy.
As sometimes happens, I noticed a couple of snags after the work was finished. A quick e-mail resulted in the men returning the following day to correct the problems.
At all times the men were friendly and courteous.
I happily recommend Chris's company for similar jobs.