New Builds Question

New build conversion - sound proofing terrible - is this a defect according to building regs?

I wonder if anyone have moved into a new build conversion. The flats around me are under offer and no one has moved in yet.
Today I heard a couple of builders in the show flat above me, I could here them talking to each other, whistling and I could even clearly here the conversation one of them was having on a mobile phone being able to make out what he was saying.. could well have been in my flat! I wont even go into the footsteps and creaking of the floor!.

The manual claims it has 2 layers of sound block plaster board in the ceiling
I have had a look at building regulations part E on sound and it says airborne should be 45db. Would this level be enough to cut out normal conversation? Surely if people are speaking at a normal level i shouldn't be able to actually hear there conversation properly? I have lived in new builds, conversions and never heard people so clearly.

I have found the workmanship appears to be a bit rough round the edges as there's been a few problems that have had to be fixed, and am wondering if soundproofing has even been added or fitted properly!
Is there anyone I can contact, about this, is it something that ought to be fixed by the builder as it could be classed as a defect? It has 1 year warranty and builders are still coming on site, as a couple flats still need to be completed. One above me is finished and was the show flat. The sound was so intrusive that i dread to think what it will be like when people move in and have TV's on etc.


2 Answers

Best Answer

Get in touch with NHBC or other organisation who has warranties the conversion, also ask to see the developer to see copy of sound testing report. I must have one to pass building regs.

Answered 15th Mar 2013

PJ Developments

Member since 13 Mar 2013

If it is a new build or a change of use to flats then it is definitely subject to part e of the regs. If the building control application and the subsequent works do not include "robust design" details then sound test results would have to be provided to the local authority to demonstrate that the sound reduction values of the sound insulated construction meet the regulations.

Two layers of sound block wouldn't normally guarantee that the regs have been met without some further floor and/or wall treatment.

Your should get the local building control department involved...ask them to consider issuing an enforcement notice.

Answered 25th Jun 2013

Nile Street Builders

Member since 28 Nov 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local New Home Builders who can help you with your project.

Search all questions