Plastering Question

How do i deal with efflorescence

We have a Victorian house built in 1883 which needed complete refurbishment, we stripped it bare gave the walls some time to dry out and then plastered. Now we are finding salt deposits, should we be concerned and how do we remedy this? Thanks in advance

Just to clarify, it seems like salts only coming through where angle beads are,we sealed all the outside walls not too long ago as we were aware of damp issues. Is this all something to worry about or am I stressing for nothing?

Thanks again

1 Answer

Best Answer

sounds like cold spots on your walls, check your external wall that aline to your internal walls in question,one remedy you can try,bleech or honestly
vinegar.but this is a short time remedy but it could work,long term if treaded right,also salts coming
through off the bricks behind the new plaster.because of moisture still in the walls.could also be salt that is in the sand that has been used in your plastering.

try also a salt neutraliser called permagaured ! Apply directly to brick or stone when it froths you know then that salts are in the stone or brick spray it on or with a brush dilute with water 3 parts permagaured 1 part water it will work allow 24 hrs then plaster your wall !
Regards Martin

Answered 11th Feb 2013

M J Plastering

Member since 18 Aug 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plasterers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions