Damp Proofing Question

Blown plaster on damp course.

Recently purchased a 1950's house, stripped wallpaper off downstairs for redecorating. There is pink plaster to a height of about 80-85cm around every wall downstairs and then grey render (cement?) above that. There's no sign of damp or mention in the survey or comment from previous owner.

Question is, in one spot the pink plaster has blown as sounds hollow to the tap. Can just that area of wall/plaster be replaced or does the entire wall need to be done. Would this need to be done by a damp proof specialist or just a plasterer.

Reason I ask is the grey render is flaky and blown in places and I want to get that replaced by plasterer, so if I don't need a specialist for it then it will save time/money.


2 Answers

Hi there
Firstly i think the grey plaster is probably a finish plaster but a grey one which in the past came from a different pit as sand and cement does not end up flaky when distressed more sandy,if it is only a small area blown i would explain to a plasterer that the patch needs to be repaired with a sika water proof additive
then have him scape walls of the flaky material unibond and skim over whole wall or walls

Answered 8th Feb 2013

Trident Damp

Member since 26 May 2011

Hi, I would recommend you obtain expert advise from a fully qualified damp and timber contractor/Surveyor who deals with these type of enquiries on a daily basis.A member of the Property Care Association on your area has the credentials.However it is worth noting you may have to pay somebody a small reward, for there time and knowledge in order to offer you accurate candid advise.Good luck!

Answered 9th Feb 2013

Baileystorm Preservation

Member since 19 Oct 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Damp Proofing Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions