Conversions - General Question

Most effective way to soundproof a georgian flat

I live in the ground floor flat of a converted Georgian townhouse. My livingroom/ kitchen is directly above the basement flat main bedroom. When I moved in 8 years ago the flooring throughout was the original bare floor boards with no covering so I had thick carpet and good quality underlay fitted throughout excluding the kitchen area and bathroom which I had Lino put down.
The owners of the basement flat at that time were very pleased as they said it reduced the noise transfer dramatically for them. However, Since then, the basement flat has been sold and the new owners have not stopped complaining about the noise to the point that I am sneaking around my flat like a mouse, and they scowl at me every time they see me and are generally quite nasty. In the first year I agreed to have my carpets taken up to put special rubber sound deadening underlay but this has not stopped them complaining so I guess it isn't effective.
They are now threatening legal action unless I have my flat properly sound proofed. I would like to know what my options are with soundproofing a flat in a building which was built 200 years ago. Is it possible? Would it be effective? And is it more effective for the job to be done as a floating floor, or a false ceiling? Many thanks

2 Answers

It seems to me you have been more than reasonable whereas they are not being neighbourly at all. You could put a floating floor but equally they could soundproof from below using a suspended ceiling , insulation & soundbloc plasterboard .
It is only fair that they do this work themselves as you lived there before they moved in. I doubt that they would win if they take legal action against you & anyway it would probably be far more expensive than the soundproofing they could do.

Good luck & don't be bullied into anything , seek legal advice.

Answered 26th Jan 2013

Norjan Properties Ltd

Member since 20 Jan 2010

I agree with norjan properties ltd. anyone buying a flat in an old property must expect some noise transfer, you have done your bit to try and reduce this but your neighbours are being unreasonable, if the noise is upsetting them that much let them do their share to reduce the noise and dont let them bully you.

while it may not be the perfect answer legal advice and a lawyer letter from your lawyer may stop the harresment and bullying.

good luck alex

Answered 27th Jan 2013

ADR Property Maintenance

Member since 1 Mar 2009

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Conversion Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions