Ask a tradesman

Damp Proofing

Damp patches on concrete bathroom floor and damp skirting board

Hi there,

We have recently bought our first house and have started to redecorate and renovate each room. We have an issue with a downstairs bathroom - it is part of an extension and built in the 80's - the floors are concrete and the floor of the bathroom particularly has damp patches on the floor constantly. The house was vacant for some time before we moved in, and since we have been in we have had heating on to dry things out.

The damp has been so bad at some point that one entire wall of skirting board has rotten completely. The damp is worse around the toilet and nearest to the damp skirting- it is damp to the touch and the concrete has cracked in some parts.

Does this sound like more than just rising damp and could it be a plumbing issue? or is it more likely to be an issue that the damp membrane under the floor has deteriorated?

Any advice would be great.

Just for information - the house is built lower than the garden and the garden is at a higher level. The garden touches the bathroom extension almost to roof level.


2 Answers from MyBuilder Damp Proofing Specialists

Best Answer

By the sounds of things its more likely to be a damp issue through a poorly constructed extension.
It doesn't sound to me like rising damp as your property is already below the damp threshold, it just seems a case of inadequate water proofing against incoming moisture.
The first stage of defence I would take would be to dig out any soil adjacent to the exterior walls of the property as deep as possible and externally tank before backfilling.
Mastic Asphalt would be the best solution, but for a cost effective way out you could look at some liquid asphalt solution that could be applied cold.
If there is a patio or concrete paving, ensure to have a channel and grate drain system installed to stop the water building up around the walls of the property.
Donovan Contractors
Roofing & Building


Answered 21st Jan 2013

Hi there
First I would contact a plumber and have him check the pipes for leaks if there are none, you then need to contact a damp and wood remedial specialist crst accredited in these type of needs to be looked at to give a correct diognosis
Hi missed the lower part of information about ground levels this is a major part of the damp problem did not scroll down far enough, you do need a damp specialist to have a look to see if you need tanking if the ground can not be moved away
from the walls


Answered 21st Jan 2013

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories