Ask a Tradesman
Chimneys & Fireplaces Question
Heat from neighbours wood burning stove. is this dangerous?
I live in a terraced property and my neighbour had a wood burning stove fitted approximately 2 years ago. They have only started using it properly in recent months. However the use of this wood burning stove is causing the wall in our house that it backs onto the stove to become extremely hot and in places it is to hot to touch for more than a few seconds. Additionally plaster on this wall is now starting to crack and become loose. I don't think the chimney was lined when stove was fitted and don't know the size of stove.
Therefore is it normal to experience this level of heat transfer onto adjoining property walls from a wood burning stove?
Is it possible the stove has not been fitted properly?
Is this dangerous?
Neighbour not interested in problem, who might I be able to report this to (council, environmental health, fire brigade, hetas)?
This doesn't sound OK at all. You will always get a warm adjoining wall but it should never be too hot to touch and should never be so hot that it has cracked the plaster.
Depending on size of lounge but if its a standard mid terrace we would recommend a stove with a maximum output of 5kw, as a responsible company we would always suggest a lined chimney as its much safer for all. It contains the heat and equally takes out the potential risk of carbon monoxide.
Hetas could be a port of call but they would only be interested if a Hetas engineer did the work to begin with.
Your local Council Health and Safety department should also be able to assist you.
We would definatley recommend that you should get a carbon monoxide tester fitted. You can buy them in hard ware shops for around £30 and should be fitted 3 metres from your chimney breast and 3 foot down from the ceiling.
Ross and Sarah Pinkerton
Answered 20th Jun 2015