Conversions - General Question

my new home survey for a house has identified a crack and was suggested that this gets looked by an engineer for the building structure.

I would want to know if there is someone who can look in to the crack and give a quotation for it. I would like to know if it is an easy fix or a costly repair.

4 Answers

Best Answer

It all depends on what has caused the crack ie subsidence or ground heave. Does the report say weather its historical movement or progressive?. As your report says it would be best to get a engineer to take a look to identify the problem.

If it is subsidence its 95% a drainage problem which has caused 'washout' underneath the property if this is the case you will need a cctv inspection.

Answered 6th May 2011

D.S Builders

Member since 2 Jun 2008

Hi Sindy,
Sometimes cracks are due to movement of the soil or walls and it may be that its just an old settlement crack.
You could contact a structural engineer and ask him to call around and give you his opinion. This would be cheaper than asking for a structural report on the problem and he would suggest a fix for the problem.
Then you can ask for quotations to repair the crack based on the engineers suggestions.
Cheers, Tony

Answered 6th May 2011

Tony Browne General Building

Member since 2 Feb 2010

hi in some instances this can be down to settlement of ground,or in other cases it could be a tree is too close to the house,i would need to see the crack as to what the problem is and then give a quote from there

Answered 5th May 2011

dc building services ltd

Member since 2 Dec 2007

No feedback

sindy,all depends on the nature of the "crack" and where it is,a surveyor or structual engineer could help you,or an experienced builder,personally i would go to an experienced builder as "he/she" will be cheaper in the first instance,good luck

Answered 6th May 2011


Member since 22 Nov 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Conversion Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions