Ask a tradesman

Carpentry & Joinery

Front door frame is splitting where the yale lock holder is screwed in making it hard to close the door securely. i dont want to move the postion of the lock what can i do?

3 Answers from MyBuilder Carpenters & Joiners

Best Answer

need to cut out the part that is split and little bit more cut apiece of wood that will fit in this place angled on the end about 45 degres nice accurate fit glue it in with waterproof glue good make sure that it fits good no gaps then the glue joint will be stronger then refit catch to frame take care not to split it when you put screws in


Answered 5th May 2011

You can perform a splice which would involve cutting part of the frame leg out at an angle then piece in the correct size timber and glue and screw it.
this may need a little sanding or planing so as not to be too visible.
alternatively you could replace the leg but this is more complicated and would need a competent carpenter.Hope this helps


Answered 5th May 2011

This is a very easy repair,the other option is to fit a London bar.


Answered 18th Jun 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories