Electrical Question

Does my electrician need a national inspection certificate?

I work in Facilities Management looking after a commercial building and I am getting an electrician in to do some work. There is a large room and all of the lights are switched on and off by one swith at the back of the room. He is going to put 4 rows of lights onto four switchs so they can be turned on and off individually.

he has Business insurance, Power Access Licence, EDSBCA,EFSA, EEFF, Level 3 certificate in requirments for electrical instillations and Level 3 certificate for inspection and testing equipment.

Does he need N.I.C ? if so is it absolutly a legal requirment? and if so what other options or routes (eg part p) are there to get round it?

Many thanks in advance

2 Answers

Best Answer

Dear Sirs,

The Electrician who is coming to work in your property must be registered electrician from >

Please visit this web link >http://www.esc.org.uk/public/find-an-electrician/registered-electricians/

And you must get minor work certificate for the particular circuit modified at the end of the job.

Best Regards,


Answered 10th Nov 2012


Member since 27 Sep 2011

There is no need for a Part P cert for this work as its a commercial building. You should recive a Minor works certificate or Electrical instalation certificate with all the test results. Is there no emergency lighting?

Regards Aaron
A Jeavons Electrical

Answered 9th Nov 2012

A Jeavons Electrical

Member since 7 Dec 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions