Ask a tradesman


I have been given conflicting information so i cancelled the job originally.

I need a garden tap installed that complies with the regulations ect.
double non return valves ect.
Do I need a plumber and/or a builder?
Have found plumbers here that won't drill through walls,builders that don't plumb.
Have been contacted by people with no plumbing experience even.
Am seeking a plumber that is competent with the non plumbing side of the job also please.

7 Answers from MyBuilder Plumbers

Best Answer

I cant believe that the plumber doesnt drill holes, if this is the case, whats he doing in the trade.
As for a good builder, I cant see any reason why he can not fit an out side tap, its not rocket science.
If this is the attitude of the tradesmen in your area, then have a go yourself.
Some people who diy it themselves use a kit that you can get from all the sheds, and Wickes, comes with tap, hose, and all fittings, you basically just fit the clamp over your cold water feed, connect every thing up then screw in the thread, that cuts into the pipe.
Cost you about £15
You will save enough to by yourself a drill (for the hole ) or give it to the plumber.


Answered 28th Apr 2011

not sure what area your in. i find it hard to believe your luck really, you will be needing a tap fitted with a double check valve (dont be confused its pretty much a standard of the shelf out door tap which should have a check valve included.) and as for not wanting to drill through a wall??? i find that strange anyway. if you need any more help please message me. i would normally charge approx £50.00 to supply and fit.


Answered 28th Apr 2011

surprised you cant find a tradesman on here that can or will fit an outside tap.Lets face it its basic stuff any plumber can drill a hole and would imagine most builders could plumb an outside tap in.


Answered 28th Apr 2011

this is a very small job for a plumber there is no builder needed or a non plumbing side to this really


Answered 28th Apr 2011

If you're replacing an exitsting outside tap you can fit a replacement one with a built in check valve. If it's a new installation, Then to comply with water regs it must have a double check valve on the supply pipework BEFORE the tap (located where it will not be subjected to freezing temperatures) .
If it's done properly, the pipework will also be sleeved where it passes through the wall and there will be a means of isolating the tap from inside the house.
I've not personally met any qualified plumbers who don't drill through walls but i've met an awful lot of other so called tradesmen who "do plumbing" with a limited knowledge and to a very poor standard!
All you need is to find a qualified professional plumber, who will give you sound advice, charge a fair price and do the job properly.


Answered 18th May 2011

these are the sort of so called tradesmen that give us real tradesmen a bad reputation cant drill through walls then get out of the trade ?


Answered 3rd May 2011

You need a plumber, a professional plumber who does domestic works and has an established business and years of experience will drill necessary holes. I have been a plumber for forty seven years and cannot understand plumbers who do not drill holes. Depending on your location I would be more than happy to do this for you.


Answered 15th May 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories