Electrical Question

Extra sockets required behind tv for tv accessories. can i use a 4 gang extension (permanently "on" ) temporarily?

I need to have an extra double socket for a DVR recorder (240V 1.5A) and also a (240V 0.5A) voltage adaptor behind my TV for continuous use. One socket already in place is used for the TV plug and the cable box / DVD is plugged into the other socket with a double plug adaptor The cable box/DVD socket is on continously.

Can I use a 4 gang extension with a circuit breaker to one socket for DVR/DVD/Cable Box/Voltage adaptor for continuous use until I get an extra double socket fitted?

Can the new double socket be a spur off the existing double socket and surface mounted as it is hidden behind the TV cabinet?

I am aware the total amperage off one socket must not exceed 13A.
I dislike the plug adaptor into one socket, though this has proved to be trouble free in the 5 years I have used it.

All items have correct size fuses fitted.

1 Answer

Best Answer

Sound like you shouldn't have a problem. The Electrical regulations are limited to the fixed wiring in your home so the use of extension leads aren't covered by any building regulation so should be done with the use of common sense, which you appear to be observing. As you say, it is important the correct fuses are used and sockets are not overloaded.

When you come to adding fixed wiring to your double socket. BS7671 states you are allowed to add an additional unfused single or twin socket run with 2.5mm. Any more than one additional single or twin socket then a fused spur would need to be added before any additional sockets in order to protect the fixed cabling.

Answered 22nd Oct 2012

D Evans Electrical

Member since 15 Oct 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions