Ask a tradesman


Certification required for fitting new fuseboard and new low voltage extractor fan circuit

In my relatively old flat (c30 years) I have an old style fusebox with fuse wire for two circuits - one for lighting, one for electrics. I have contacted an electrician to replace this with a modern style fuseboard.
I have also agreed for him replace our mains voltage bathroom extractor fan with a new low voltage fan circuit and replace the bathroom lights with new waterproof ones in an attempt to bring the bathroom electrics up to modern standard.

I was hoping someone could clarify what certification I should expect to receive from the tradsman and/or building authority? After finding the electrician on ratedpeople he has confirmed he is Part P registered and a member of NICEIC.

Thank you for your help in advance.

2 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

The electrician should perform a full periodic inspection and test of your existing electrical installation. This will include a thorough visaul inspection and then a series of meter tests that confirm the current state of your installation. A series of recommendations will then be made to bring the exisiting installation up to current 17th edition requirements. These will be coded from C1 to C3 depending on what is found. C3 are non compliant with current regulations and C1 are safety issues requiring immediate attention. All details from the inspection and testing will be transfered to a Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR). The new consumer unit can only be fitted once any urgent remedial work is completed. Once the consumer unit is fitted RCD readings will be taken and all details entered into an Electrical Installation Certificate. At the same time the lights and extractor can be fitted which may require additional cable and a triple pole isolator switch. This is classed as minor works as this is an addition to existing wiring. This can be detailed on the same Electrical Installation Certificate or on a seperate Minor Electrical Works Certificate if carried out at a different time. Building control will need to be notified of all work as this includes a new consumer unit and work in a Special Location containing a Bath or Shower. The electrician will issue the Installation and Minor Works Certificates directly to the client then notify Building Control via their Part P body (NAPIT, NICEIC or ELECSA) and Buiulding Control will send a notification card confirming the work has been registered direct to the client. Building Control can take between 2 - 4 weeks to send this out.


Answered 9th Oct 2012

You should get a full NICEIC Electrical Installation Certificate for the new fusebox and he should have fully tested the two circuits that he has connected to the new fuseboard. He should also have given you information about the free 6 Year warranty on his work which is underwritten by NICEIC should he go out of business etc.

In addition he should have notified the completed work online to your Local Authority Building Control. He should be able to provide you with the reference number for this, and in due course you should get a second NICEIC style certificate through the post, which is the part P building regulation certification.

Hope this helps.


Answered 13th Jan 2013

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories