Ask a tradesman


Damp walls with flaking plaster


I am hoping you can help me figure out the solution to the bane of my life!

There have been damp splodges on the back wall of my dining room for almost 2 years now - I have been assured it is not rising damp as these splodges appear around the middle of the wall rather than from the bottom. We got a dehumidifier in - no difference. Rainy weather or dry weather - the splodges are still present and no sign of disappearing. I have filled in all holes from outside and near the window but nothing appears to have worked.

I have now spotted the problem worsening as the 'damp' appears to have spread across the wall and I can see random splodges deeper into the room. What is concerning me is that I have noticed the paint is bubbling up and once I remove the bubbles, plaster and paint are both crumbling off. Things are getting worse as an entire sheaf of plaster just crumbled off whilst I was hoovering! So now I have a wall with damp splodges and varying amounts of brickwork showing through - not the look I am particularly keen on... I am at a loss as to what to do - I can't seem to identify where the water is coming from (no gutters, window is secure, holes filled up). Do I just get someone to re-plaster and skim the wall? What if the new plaster doesn't dry?

I would greatly appreciate anyone's input!

1 Answer from a MyBuilder Plasterer

Best Answer

hi there i advice that you cut away all the damaged plaster back to brickwork.then dry out the brickwork and replaster.but if your damp couse has had it you will need a new one.if you brickwork has white patches coming through,then salts are coming out the brickwork which will need to be treated first.


Answered 3rd Oct 2012

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories