Damp Proofing Question

Damp in bungalow after a burst pipe. please help

Hi everyone,
I am looking to purchase a bungalow which has a lot of potential. However, the main issue is it had a burst pipe in the ceiling, the plaster has collapsed and the current owners have just abandoned it. The burst pipe has been fixed, but the problem now is that ALL the interior walls have damp and black mould patches. This is also spreading as the property has not been dealt with and has been vacant for some time.
Any advice and help would be more than welcome. Or if you think I am out of my mind to buy this house, please tell me.

7 Answers

Best Answer

You will only be out of your mind to buy the bungalow if it's not at the right price.

That's what you've got to consider.

From your description of the place in it's current state,i would gut it.
Rip everything out and strip the plaster off back to the brickwork and start again,and give it a brand new fresh look.

But again,only if the property was at the right price.

Put a request on Post a Job for a local builder/property refurbishment company to visit the property,and give you an idea what needs to be done and an estimate,then you can factor that in......... in any offer you make on the property.
And of course,you will save even more money/make more profit if you can do some off the work yourself.

Good luck.


Answered 24th Apr 2011

carl melady

Member since 1 Jun 2008

This really needs to be inspected before giving advice, it could just mean replacing the damaged ceilings, ie reboarding and skim.
It sounds that most damage has been caused by the burst pipe, if the house has been closed up for a long time, as you state, then you need to get it all opened up, and let plenty of fresh air in.
To assess the extent of mould etc, get a good builder/plasterer out and they will advise.
May only need a good cleaning with bleach or mould cleaner, but a good airing is the main thing.
If you place your request in Post a Job section, you can then get a couple of tradesmen out to check it for you, advise you and the cost of remedial works, as you say your buying the house, try to haggle the cost down to cover for the works.

Answered 24th Apr 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

hi ..it all depends on how long this burst pipe has been chucking out water ...may be just a case of paying out for a few dehumidifiers and leaving them running for a week or two ...it could be just surface mould which is easy to wash off or if the walls are badly damaged then removing all the plaster and re plastering or in the worst case the water could of damaged all the joist etc then its a lot of work ..i would pay out for a good surveyor ..water is so damaging at least with fire you can see the damage ...good luck

Answered 24th Apr 2011


Member since 30 Sep 2008

I would recommend a few dehumidifiers to dry the building out the totaly. Basicly kbplastering are spot on.

Answered 25th Apr 2011

D.S Builders

Member since 2 Jun 2008

i think the best thing is to get some air into the property by opening the windows and door and with a few good days of weather you will see signs of improvement. but it s best to get a surveyer or a builder round to have a look at the extent of the damage as dampness to buildings causes all types of problems and can take some time to dry out. so get someone round to have a look before you part with your money and get some idea of the costs involved and knock it from the sale price, as at the moment its a buyers market, and i would not let this damage put me off the purchase

Answered 24th Apr 2011

tom harveyassociates

Member since 30 May 2010

I have recently completed flood damage for a customer,a main water pipe burst and run for 4 days,after the leak was fixed i put in 2 industrial dehumidifiers and a space heater,the de humidifiers worked 24/7 the heater occasionaly,after 2 weeks everything was dry, if the plaster seems solid i thik you dhould be o/k at the right price,regards Terry.

Answered 24th Apr 2011

tm property services

Member since 9 Mar 2011

Obviously your not living in the property at this time so leaving windows open to air is not viable. A couple of industrial heaters running for a few days should dry out most of the walls followed by a proper inspection of the woodwork and state of walls before any further works carried out

Answered 25th Apr 2011

db advanced finishes

Member since 27 Sep 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Damp Proofing Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions