Ask a tradesman


Will my cooker circuit be powerful enough for a 32 amp cooker

The cooker I would like to buy requires a 32 amp supply but I have no idea what my current cooker circuit supply is. There is nothing on my fuse box to suggest what I have already and I have no idea what my current cooker uses as it's too old to check the model.
Also, what size cable would I need to use?
Any guidance would be appreciated!

5 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

Put a photo of your cu ( Fuseboard) on here


Answered 13th Feb 2022

If your existing hob is electric then is very likely to have a dedicated circuit which is usually a 6mm2 twin and earth flat cable and at the fuse board should be a 32/40 Apms circuit breaker. Also somewhere in the kitchen should de a cooker switch. In that case you can have your cooker easily replaced without additional works. Be aware that the work must be carried out by a qualified electrician as the circuit needs to be tested, ensure the protective device rated accordingly and the cooker isolator is in good condition.

However, I do recommend a pre-assessment prior Installation.


Answered 13th Feb 2022

The best option would be to have someone come out and check as even if it is on a 32a mcb there could be a undersized cable installed


Answered 14th Feb 2022

The maximum demand and diversity will dictate the conductor size for your cooker. The cooker is 32A, so you need a 32A minimum circuit breaker to start. You also need to consider power loss on the cable if it's a long run. If it's a new or upgrade circuit, it will be a notifiable electrical installation and you will need an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC).


Answered 14th Feb 2022

Update a photo of the cooker connection and consumer unit . You need 6mm cable with 32A circuit breaker and cooker switch.


Answered 14th Feb 2022

Post your job to find high quality tradespeople and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories