Ask a Tradesman
Chimneys & Fireplaces Question
Old coal fire blocked up with plaster board and damp?
I bought my mid terraced house over a year ago and the previous owner recently blocked up a working coal fire. This was only plaster boarded over and since then the plaster board was ringing wet. Today I have cut a hole in and fitted a plastic vent. Will this help? The top of the chimney still has the pot on should this be blocked off? Also am i best removing the plaster board and bricking it up properly of will the plaster board dry out? There seems to be a good old draft comming down the chimney.
Your help please?
Any advice greatful :)
I can smell the sut now - it seems that the fire is still behind the plaster board
If it is really wet as opposed to just damp you may well be getting rain water down the flue. If the pot is not capped then you should fit a breather cowl. This will prevent water ingress but allow the chimney to breathe.
Plasterboard is acceptable but bricking up would be preferable. You can probably smell soot as it is being washed down.
Chimney Care & Repair
Answered 28th Aug 2012