Bricklaying Question

Laying stones instead of bricks

I am looking at buying an old vicarage that is stone built in about 1890. The stone work is regular and the blocks as a general rule are about 18" by 9". I believe they are Sandstone.

There is quite a bit to do on the house, including reinstating two chimney stacks which have been taken off to roof level, so my question is this:

Do I need a stonemason or is this sort of thing easily handled by a bracklayer?

Apologies to any bricklayers that I may have offended, but I'm just trying to see whether the build cost will be substantially more than a "normal" project, allowing always for the fact that stone blocks will inevitably cost more than bricks.



3 Answers

Best Answer

I would only use a builder with good experience of working with stone I have seen many stone jobs undertaken by inexperienced bricklayers which sadly just look wrong and finished off wrong ie dressing the stone when laying.

Answered 26th Aug 2012

jd kent

Member since 14 Jun 2008

Without any pictures,,I would have thought a bricklayer will be able to undertake the work required.

Answered 24th Aug 2012

ABM plastering

Member since 21 Feb 2011

Both trades would be fine for the job.

Answered 26th Aug 2012

Audnam Building Contractors

Member since 11 Jan 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Bricklayers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions