Ask a tradesman

Gas Work

Removal of old internal pipes - not sure on job type

Moved into a 1930's maisonette, originally there looks like there was a gas fire that the last owners pulled out and replaced with a cheap non-functioning fire (which we are replacing with non-gas fire). To the right of the chimney there are some old pipes which look to be possibly disused gas pipes and would like to have them removed, not sure who would do this (gas company, plumber, general builder) Does anyone have any ideas?

6 Answers from MyBuilder Gas Engineers

Best Answer


I would Definately get a Gas Safe Registered Engineer to have a look, as a lot of older houses had Gas Pipes ran all over the walls, flors and ceilings many of which can be live etc.. You wouldnt belive the amount of himes we go to that have nails screws in pipework, and is leaking gas into house people think they would smell it but not always the case.
They used to even have Gas Wall Lights way back so definately get a Gas Safe used to be CORGI Engineer to check over all the Gas Appliaces and Pipe work that no leaks and then they can issue Gas Safe Certificate if you were in Merseyside would be about £50

Even if it turns out to be water pipes any Gas Engineer can mover them for you, put a plumber is not always a Gas Registered Engineer.Good Luck.


Answered 21st Apr 2011

you will need to post a job on this site for a plumber who is gas safe registered, they will be able to cap of the pipes for you,regards Terry.


Answered 21st Apr 2011

Its got to be a gas safe plumber,to check and make safe.


Answered 21st Apr 2011

you would need to get a local gas safe engineer to check the pipes not a plumber or builder.It would be best if you advertised on the job site to get quotes.
Thanks Ian


Answered 21st Apr 2011

they will probably be from old water heating back boiler, and if so are fine to remove but they need checking to make sure.


Answered 22nd Apr 2011

Contact Gas Safe website, it will tell you your nearest gas safe registered fitter...........


Answered 26th Apr 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories