Ask a tradesman

Damp Proofing

How to resolve damp patches mid way up wall in basement room

thank you all for replying .
You all work along way from me so .I don't think you would be able to visit .
I like the nuair flatmaster idea and went on their website but would like to know from someone who has used these ?.
I can't dig the earth out from the other side of the end of terace wall as I don't own this land which is a huge pity as that would have been my first course of action .
The gurantees for the damp have finished and 1 firm wanted £90 to even have a look !
I will try and get a local damp proof builder out to see the prolem

4 Answers from MyBuilder Damp Proofing Specialists

Best Answer

you need to use 50mm thermaline super plasterboards on top of the tanking. this gives a warmer wall surface and reduces condensation problems.
chris mather


Answered 17th Apr 2011

An alternative to internal tanking (although not always practiceable) is to temporaraly remove the earth from outside the walls then use a bitumastic sealant before reinstating the earth.
Another possible cause may be if the brickwork above ground level is very poreus, water could be permiating down the wall rather than through it directly so may need some kind if sealant.


Answered 18th Apr 2011

hi you could install a nuair flatmaster or drymaster. this should fit between your floor and basement ceiling.This unit will take warmer air from your house and redistribute into your basement.This along with the extraction and ventilation work you have allready done should solve your problem if it is condensation.


Answered 18th Apr 2011

Hello Lois

It sounds to me you have a serious issues in your basement.
Do you have a guarantee for the works, if so can you not follow them up for some answers by contacting the specialist company that implemented the works.

Unfortunately tanking and isulation go hand in hand with basements.
One without the other will cause you some form of issue.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is no easy way out with this one.
Really the best advice I could give here would be to arrange a site visit by a specialist who will establish the cause and the process or alternative processes which can be taken to resolve the matter.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Vern Mills


Answered 26th Apr 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradespeople and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories