Architectural Services Question

Removing a 2 storey non load bearing wall and replacing upstairs with a stud wall

I have a galley kitchen and want to make it into a kitchen dinner ,the dividing wall is non load bearing but goes straight upstairs to provide the separating wall between bedroom and bathroom can I remove this double storey wall and replace upstairs with a stud wall and if so do I require building regs

3 Answers

Best Answer

As long as the strudworkwall supprorts no structrual implimentions theres is no build control imput required. Health and safety requiremt may become apparent may have to be notified due to any repositioning of electrictal requirent such as sockets, (furespures and vents for cookers), lightfittings, appliannces, heat detectors, fireararms etc.

Elecatricala goods require pats tes testing these days to meet gov standards.

Hope This Helps

kind Rgards

Answered 8th Sep 2015


Member since 25 Aug 2015

If it is a masonry wall you should get a structural engineer to look at wall and he can advise you accordingly.The wall could be carrying joists and it it usually better to leave the upstairs wall in place as walls provide stability to buildings.He will do a calculation on wall and give you a steel support beam size and weight,pad stone sizes etc.Then if you go ahead with removing wall building control can pass it off with your engineers report

Answered 10th Jul 2012

l.mcguinness building and joinery

Member since 10 Jul 2012

These types of walls are part of the overall structure of a property. A structural engineer will be able to design a solution. This will require a building regulation application.
Pete Watkin
Aztech Architecture Ltd

Answered 9th Sep 2012

Aztech Architecture Ltd

Member since 10 Jul 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Architectural Services who can help you with your project.

Search all questions