Plumbing Question

How to locate stopcock in victorian house?

We do not know where the main stopcock is in our house. Until now we have relied on being able to turn off water through access to the supply pipe on our driveway, but now the water company have found a leak and are going to move this external stopcock to the pavement. So we really need to know where our internal stopcock is and make it accessible. 1. Is it possible we wouldn't have a stopcock in an old Victorian house? 2. Assuming there is one, would the other 2 houses in our terrace be reliable indicators of where it's located? We had a plumber in a few years ago for something who said he suspected it would be under the floorboards in the hall but we don't want to go to trouble / expense of raising our floor (Amtico over original floorboards) if it may not even be there. Any suggestions welcome. Many thanks!

1 Answer

Best Answer

I'd ask the neighbours, but It would usually be near the sink in the kitchen or near the service cupboard for the gas and electricity - happy hunting.

Answered 12th Jun 2012


Member since 23 May 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plumbers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions