Electrical Question

How can i get an honest opinion whether my house needs rewiring?

I just realise that there is a bit of a conflict for an electrician. I am having my loft insulated in two weeks and it would be good to know beforehand if the wiring up there is OK. Also would be good if they could tell me if the rest of the house was OK as just moved into an old preoperty. Should I be requesting a wiring test? Any comments appreciated. Location is SE3

6 Answers

Best Answer

Ok, so what you need to do is get an approved contractor to carry out a periodic inspection before asking the guys coming to quote for the works. A report should be produced listing the deviations and general condition of the installation. This can then be produced and a quote based on the work that needs to be done.

Answered 13th Apr 2011

DCI Electrical And building Services

Member since 3 Sep 2009

you can get a periodic inspection report done on the property to see the state and age of installation.
Depending on the size of the property and how many circuits there are to test, this we depend on the price. It can range from £120-500.00 but its worth doing as this wil tell you if wiring is safe and not deteriated .

Answered 13th Apr 2011

MK of Fulham Electrical

Member since 19 Feb 2009

Get at least 3 prices, and exactly what they are pricing for.
You can then compare them,a good honest electrician will tell you what needs doing and also test every thing upon completion, and issue you with a certificate.
Try this site for a good honest tradesman, there is feedback left by previous customers that you can read, very doubtful you will get a rogue trader from here.

Answered 13th Apr 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

You can request an electrical test from your supply provider.They will give you impartial advice as to what needs to be done.You can then hire your own contractor to carry out any needed works,hope this helps.

Answered 13th Apr 2011

m w building construction and property maintenance

Member since 28 Sep 2008

everyone previous is right but just a word of caution before you insulate, any electric cables completely enclosed in insulation for a length of 500mm will have the whole circuit carrying capacity reduced by 50%,regards Terry.

Answered 13th Apr 2011

tm property services

Member since 9 Mar 2011

The Periodic inspection of the property is a good idea and as the others say get a few quotes, I would avoid your electric supplier through as they tend to do a visual inspection only and not actually test anything. The price band off £100 -£200 pound depending on the size of the house is about right, ensure that the person used is qualified with 2391 qualification and ideally registered to Napit, niceic or one of the other trade organisations. Watch out for quotes that are too cheap as the job will probably not be done thoroughly. Good luck with it.

Answered 16th Apr 2011

Holloway's electrical contractors

Member since 16 Apr 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions