Gas Work Question

Can i remove my gas fire and have an open fire instead?

Hi moving house in a few weeks. House was built in 1997 and has a live effect gas fire. I'd ideally like to have this removed, and capped off and have an open fireplace instead. I can't find anything about this possible it is. PS house in cornwall and yes it does have a chimney and no i'm not sure what the lining is. House is typical block/block cavity walled detached house with one fireplace in sitting room....any help/advice greatly appreciated.....

2 Answers

Best Answer

To have a open fire fitted the flue or cimney needs to be 'class 1' you could get this explained on the HEATAS web site and you will find more information there along with registered installers, hope this helps .
Michael Gray Sovereign Plumbing and Heating.

Answered 6th May 2012

sovereign plumbing and heating

Member since 23 Nov 2011

Yes you can. get a gas safe registered enginner in to decommission the fire, and remove or cap gas feed away from fire,remove lining and terminal if there is one, sweep chimney and smoke test,then seal any areas that need it, new pot/anti down draft terminal and a soild fuel appliance can be installed!

post the job and someone should follow this proceedure! gas safe/hetas


Answered 6th May 2012

kelly plumbing Heating & gas

Member since 4 Jan 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Gas Engineers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions