Windows Question

I want to brick up the middle section of a large picture window

I have a large (full room width) three pane window in my bathroom. We'd really like to brick up the middle section and make two smaller windows either side so we can have a mirror etc above our sink. is this possible? If so do I need permission and do I ask a window fitter or a builder or both!!!

Many thanks

Thanks all. It sounds like I should check with the council before we do anything.

5 Answers

Best Answer

This Best Practice guide to assist local authorities to determine when a
building regulation application is required for work
relating to the replacement of doors and windows
when changing the size of the opening in any way.
Most Building Control bodies are aware that if
you enlarge a window opening by increasing its
width you will usually require a new lintel and a
Building Regulations application is clearly
required for the associated structural work.
However, what has not been as widely
recognised is that an application is also required
where the enlargement of the opening is
downwards as the work is considered to be
“building work” in accordance with Regulation
3(1)(b) ‘The provision or extension of a controlled
service or fitting in or in connection with a
building’. This having been a requirement since
1st April 2002 by virtue of Regulation 2 (1) where
“controlled service or fitting” means a service or
fitting in relation to which Part G, H, J, L or P of
schedule 1 imposes a requirement.
The requirement to submit an application extends
to those people who are members of a competent
person scheme for replacement of windows as the
CPS only cover replacement of windows where
they are the same size as originals.
The following points are some areas where control
may need to be exerted.
1. Enlargement of the window/door opening
could cause conflict with energy efficiency
requirements when based on the glazed area
in relation to floor area (Regulation L1).
2. Unprotected areas in boundary situations
could become excessive (Regulation B4).

Hope this helps

Trevor & Mike

Asset Property Installations

Answered 2nd May 2012

ID Windows Doors Glazing

Member since 21 Nov 2011

just done very similar job they had to ask permission because of the area they lived in . but its quite a simple task usually a two day job hope this helps you

Answered 1st May 2012

Dartnote Ltd

Member since 2 Nov 2010

You don’t normally need planning permission to put in new door or window openings — so you can be as imaginative as you want

You do not normally need planning permission to replace or add new windows in the original walls of your house — but you may need permission if conditions were attached to the original permission. Double glazing can be installed under PD, providing the building is not listed. For new or bigger windows or doors, you will need to follow Building Regulations guidance. Do also bear in mind that bay windows are classed as extensions. Planning permission to insert a new window or door opening is not required providing any upper-floor windows in the wall or roof slope forming a side elevation of the dwelling are glazed with obscured glass (level 4 or 5 obscurity) and are fixed into a non-opening frame (unless the opener is more than 1.7m above the floor of the room in which the window is installed).

Please do not hesitate in contacting us for a quotation if you decide to proceed with the works.

Regards Craig
CTP Builders

Answered 2nd May 2012


Member since 21 Sep 2008

yes you can ,best get a builder to organise both as he will need the windows on site to build in as he goes,planning permission will apply as you are altering the face of the property though not structural it will require inspecting by building control to adhere to fensa regs

Answered 2nd May 2012


Member since 7 Jun 2008

With substructure on this one.

Answered 2nd May 2012

Roc builders

Member since 25 Aug 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Window Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions