Architectural Services Question

Can i partition large disabled adapted bathroom without damaging floor?

My house has a large adapted bathroom with sanifo toilet forming semi independent living space together with large bedroom. This was being used by a very physically disabled person but now by someone with different needs.

Is there any way to partition this space without damaging the floor - shower is floor level so whole floor continuous waterproof material. Alternatively could damage be repaired if I needed to reinstate the previous use.

What level of separation do I need for electrical sockets to be possible?

The current user needs a kitchenette (sink, fridge, microwave) and storage space more than a giant bathroom.

Thanks for any ideas.

2 Answers

Is the room what is typically called a wet room? If so, it is likely that the floor has been tanked using a waterproof membrane which seals the floor and runs up the walls by around 100 mm, effectively forming a sealed "tank". Fitting a stud partition wall has two issues: 1) In normal cases the base of the wall would be nailed or screwed to the floor, thus piercing the tanking and 2) the new wall would not be sealed by the existing waterproof membrane.
If you were to fit a new wall across the exisitng membrane you would need to seal it, so fixing the wall to the floor isn't anissue. So now you have to seal the new wall - what has been used over the sealed membrane i.e. has the floor been tiled, covered with a rubber material or another method?
If tiled, tiles can be removed, further waterprrod membrane applied, then retile. If rubber material has been applied the only safe waty is to reapply to the whole area that is the new bathroom.
Hope that's helpful.

Answered 21st Apr 2012

JBD Property Development

Member since 20 Feb 2012


You have to re-waterproof the room, once the wall is being moved - the waterproof coat has to be redone along the wall which is moved.

Answered 21st Apr 2012


Member since 23 Dec 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Architectural Services who can help you with your project.

Search all questions