Electrical Question

If i am to have an extractor fan and spot lights fitted in the bathroom i am right in saying the person doing this needs to be able to issue a part p certificate?

5 Answers

Best Answer

Part P is not a certificate its a building regulation. The person doing the work have to either be a member of a self certification scheme they can issues the certs, or the person doing the work must make an application to the local building control, they will charge them a fee and then they send out an electrician who is registered with one of the Part P self certification schemes to check there work basically. They will inspect there work and either pass it and issue a certificate or fail it and then charge them to come out and re test after the non compliance has been sorted out.

Hope this clarifies.

Answered 9th Apr 2012

Triumph Electrical.

Member since 2 Apr 2012

Yes must be.

Answered 8th Apr 2012

MWB Property Care & MBBathrooms

Member since 2 Feb 2012

Bathroom is a special location,so the answer is yes-installed by a competent
person who is a part P (check their registration number)
and he must issue a part P certificate and notify Building Control on your behalf.

Answered 9th Apr 2012

Elman Ltd

Member since 6 Nov 2010

The certificate issued will be either a Minor Works Certificate or an Electrical Installation Certificate, whichever is applicable. However the job would as said fall under Part P notifiable so would need to be notified to LABC.

Answered 9th Apr 2012

RIS Electrical Limited

Member since 2 Mar 2012

Part P is just one of the myriad of building regualtion annexes that need to be complied with when renovating your house, and compliance is achieved by the electrical works being registered with the relevant local authority LABC.

The easiest route to complying with part P and avoiding any nasty fines (can be up to £5000), is to get a registered electrical installer to carry out the work and self certify it. He/she can then log the job online on your behalf. - About three weeks later you'll get a certificate from the electrical scheme provider that the elctrician is with showing you that the work has been registered with building control and a local authority reference number etc. - Easy!

You can do the work DIY if you have the skills, but you must pre-notify your LABC before you start work and pay their fees (approx £200 - £300) - At lot more difficult and costly!

Hope this helps

Answered 14th Apr 2012

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions