Ask a tradesman


What can i do to save money in rewiring costs without overstepping the mark under part p?

I've just bought a 1930s semi that has been extended, the wiring that's in there has all been replaced at some point and it's obvious that no rubber remains. There's a downstairs ring, upstairs ring and upstairs&downstairs lighting circuits, cooker and immersion heater all run through an old cartridge fuse board, plus a second (similar) fuse board serving the extension (one fuse per socket it seems). All sockets in the main house have been fitted into surface boxes and so the place needs lots of updating.

Obviously I want a modern consumer unit, the wiring bringing to a decent standard and quite a few extra sockets installed.

There's a lot of work going on there at the moment and so there's currently easy access as plenty of floorboards are already up.

Questions then...

1) Is it generally acceptable for me to sink boxes into the walls and prepare for wiring?

2) Where sockets are simply being sunk into the walls in their original locations, can I do the whole job?

3) Are qualified sparkies normally willing to work with their customers in this way?

I should say that I'm an electronic Engineer by trade, not an electrician, so while I do understand the work I'm not qualified in any way that makes me able to certify it afterwards.

For reference, the old and new house socket requirements (lighting is fine).
Downstairs 7 doubles
Upstairs 8 doubles
Extension 8 singles

Downstairs 8 doubles + 6 doubles in kitchen + cooker
Upstairs 12 doubles
Extension total of 14 sockets (original 6 singles, rest are as doubles)
Garage: 9 doubles
Conservatory 3 doubles

4) Any ball park estimates of cost? (I'll post the job up soon).



6 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

The rules on part p are that all works are completed by a competant person and then tested and certifcated and notified to building control at the council. The council will come out and check the job for you but will need to see it at different points in the installation. They do charge you for this service. It is allowed for you to rewire your own house as long as the job can be checked as you go.

Most electricans will not agree to these terms as they want to do the whole job.

We have done this for some of our customers before who were quite competant diyers , we charged for the site visits and helped out with the wiring in places, gave the customer advice when required. We fitted the consumer unit and tested the property.

Its really down to the individual companies as to what they want to do but as long as the works can be inspected as you go there is no problem in doing the wiring yourself.


Answered 16th Apr 2011

Hi lan as tm say,s you cant do your own electrical work but you can chase. But it would much less stressful for if you just get a electrians like team to do the job according to regulations. in a professional safe competent manner within a budget using hilti chasers with dust extraction to keep dust down. I recommend whole new wiring sunk in. pipes metalworks earth bonding. New board. let me if you would like to use are services depending on where you are hope this helps good luck.


Answered 4th Apr 2011

The whole point about the part-p is so all electrical works are carried out by a competent persons.
I don't think that getting involved yourself or cutting corners will benefit you in any way, in terms of safety and project time.
I'm sure you will get some competitive quotes once you post the job.
Regards. Val


Answered 12th Apr 2011

It is acceptable for you to chase the walls and sink the back boxes as long as they conform to part P in respect of depth of chases, and part M buildind regs-height of sockets and switches (part M not considered mandatory unless a complete refurb or intended for disabled use). whether an electrician would take on the rest of the job is debatable.unless you are qualified to part P you could not complete the installation and whilst a part P electrician can inspect and test they are only legaly allowed to self certify Work that they have done themselves). The best time to do this work is when access is good ( floorboards allready lifted etc. ) as this is the time consuming/costly side.if you think that the wiring is ok and are not concerned about equiptment being surface mounted , a periodic inspection would tell you whether a 17th edition consumer unit could be fitted,suggest you post a job, i am sure you will get a good response from tradespersons, hop this helps,regards Terry.


Answered 4th Apr 2011

hi ian
as you are in a position of refurbishing have you concidered a rewire or partial rewire it probibly would cost the same as the alterations you want.
post the job and get some quotes it wont cost.
ill be happy to come out and give you a free quote
regards israr .a1-electrical


Answered 5th Apr 2011

Can be carried out by a competent persons is the exact phrasing
Can only be carried out by a qualified electrician


Answered 22nd Jun 2020

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories