Electrical Question

Add to existing lighting and mains circuit

I will be having an extension built, which will provide an additional bedroom. Do i need to comply with part P regulation to add to an existing lighting and mains circuit. This will supply a new light switch and about 4 sockets in the new bedroom.

Are any certificates required by building control?


4 Answers

Best Answer

Yes, part P of the building regulations will apply. Failure to abide can be costly as some local authorities are now prosecuting and fining people! (Max fine is £5000).

The new sockets must be RCD protected to comply with BS7671:2008 (as ammended to 2011). The lighting circuit extension must also be RCD protected as all electrical cables that are buried below plaster depth in walls and ceilings and athat are not installed in an enclosed earthed metal screen (i.e. metal conduit etc), must be RCD protected.

The electrician doing the work must issue you with an Electrical Installation certificate and register the work online with building control, so that the building compliance certificate is issued.

Answered 1st Apr 2012

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Hi mo
You can do it yourself and get the council to look at it and sign off.

Or post on here for an electricain to price up who ,yes can sign off under part p etc
Hope this helps

Answered 2nd Apr 2012


Member since 8 Oct 2008

yes of course ,any alterations or configurations will have to comply with building regs ,you should have this in the pack building control send when you pay for your inspections

Answered 1st Apr 2012


Member since 7 Jun 2008

Yes, certification will need to be provided to you and building control will need to be notified via one of the Part P regulators. By law you should only employ a Part P registered electrician for any domestic works.

Look for a company registered with either: NICEIC / NAPIT / ECA / ELECSA.

Answered 2nd Apr 2012

Sensor Electrical Services

Member since 6 Mar 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions