Gas Work Question

Gas tap under floor - in line with regs?

Hi, I live in a 1930's house which has a gas fireplace (inset). There isn't a gas tap next to the fire and I think it may be under the floor boards. Is this legal since I cannot access it (no trap door or anything)?

Many thanks.

2 Answers

hello.there should be some sort of turn off .which should be able to get to

Answered 2nd Apr 2012

jim murray

Member since 2 Apr 2012

Any gas fitting/isolation must be accessible,and no gas fitting must be under the floor only an appropriate soldered end feed cap/stop end!! This may have been done years ago,and so it is not a legal requirement for you to have this changed at present if you are the home owner,and as long as the pipe work is gas tight,it is your responsibility to leave it in the floor,but as you have noticed it,i would advise you as a gas engineer to remove! if you were renting it out,of course an engineer would not notice this unless there was a leak over the permissible drop,and find during an investigation etc.
Get a GSE in and get it done. the gas restricter/isolation should be mounted on fire breast or next to fire with a sleeved supply entering the breast etc.


Answered 2nd Apr 2012

kelly plumbing Heating & gas

Member since 4 Jan 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Gas Engineers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions