Ask a tradesman

Architectural Services

Building warrant requirements for load bearing wall alteration in tenement flat in glasgow

Hi All,

I’m purchasing a studio flat in Glasgow which currently has a separate large kitchen and a large sitting room/bedroom, both with insets separated with a load-bearing wall.

I want to break through the load bearing wall, stick a beam in and build a partition to create a kitchen/living room and a separate bedroom.

I’m wondering what I would need to do to get the building warrant for this and how long would the approval process likely take. This is one of the last aspects I need to get some clarification on before I go ahead with the purchase so if anyone could provide some info or advice it would be much appreciated.

Regards, Paul .

6 Answers from MyBuilder Architectural Designers

Best Answer

I would first recommend you get a consultation with building control to see if the proposed works would affect other parts of the building re fire etc. Then secondly a structural engineer to provide a calculation for the proposed removal of the wall part, assuming it is structural. The engineer, as well as building control, can issue an approval notice for the works. I hope this is of help.


Answered 15th Jul 2019

Engage the services of a local Chartered Structural Engineer to make a site visit, provide advice and structural calculations for the Building Warrant.


Answered 15th Jul 2019

Good morning
Without going into too much detail
You need to engage the professional services of both architectural and structural engineering
They will prepare a design which will satisfy both your needs and those to meet compliance with the statutory requirements


Answered 15th Jul 2019

You must make a building warrant application including design and calculations by a structural engineer who should visit the site. It will take 6-8 weeks to get a formal approval, but work can be started once the design calculations have been submitted, and adequate notice give to the council building control officer. Hope that helps.


Answered 15th Jul 2019

Hi Paul, I strongly advise you to get in contact with a Glasgow based Structural Engineer, they will be able to chat you through the process. In addition your Solicitor should be able to point you to the appropriate clause in your Lease that stipulates your legal requirements in terms of the Freeholder. Also you can call the council the local council Building Control department ask to speak to a Building Inspector and have the same conversation to confirm the process and your strategy, all the best with everything Lee Davidson RIBA


Answered 15th Jul 2019

I would consider employing a structural engineer.


Answered 15th Jul 2019

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories