Ask a tradesman


Would a house built in 1961 need rewiring? how do i check it needs to be done.

3 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

All house built pre-1967 will have no earth wire on the lighting circuits, so if there are any metal light switches or metal light fittings there is a significant risk of electric shock.

Best way forward is to have an NICEIC registered electrician carry out a full Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) to fully test and check the wiring and identify what defects and issues exist.

In reality i would not expect it to pass such a test and so you should prepare yourself for full rewiring.


Answered 1st Mar 2012

I would say it should be re-wired. If it is the original wiring it's over 50 years old and it's likely that the insulation on the cables will be breaking down. Also you need to think about the safety aspect, modern wiring systems have a lot of features which protect you and your home which were not used in 1961.
Get an electrician to do an "electrical condition report" on your house. This will tell you exactly what problems are in the system and the electrician will be able to explain any potential dangers.
You'll then be able to make a fully informed decision.


Answered 1st Mar 2012

Post on my builder that you require an electrical inspection doing and you will get a full report, the electrician will also be able to quote you for work.
I would say that if the house is still using the original wiring it will require a rewire.


Answered 1st Mar 2012

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories