Plastering Question

Can you render over old render

hi . my question is
can you render over existing render the render has been painted in the past

how dfficult is to take all the render off
how do work out the price for a such a job
the render to my property is very poor and in patches sone places is too thick and some places its too thin, there are signs of flaking and the render is peeling away in some places. i want hav e the whole house rerendered.

5 Answers

Best Answer

If the render is blown hack it off if its hold leave it and just do patches lo level.
Whole render paint with a proper chemical which will get in to render and make it stronger,then fix 20mm polystyrene boards over existing render,fit fibre glass mesh in to adhesive prime it and finished with modern coloured silicone render.System is anti crack,waterproof,self washable longer colour life when its rain and cheaper than remove render and redone and paint every 5years.experienced company charge from £45per m2 plus scaffold

Answered 19th Dec 2012


Member since 6 Jan 2010

YES. There are many products on the market, one of which is SBR mixed with OPC cement. This creates a slurry which is applied using a brush. I then allow 24 hours for it to dry and then i apply a second coat but follow it straight up with a sand cement scratch coat whilst the slurry is tacky. Following this i render as normal.

When regarding taking of the render, this is a very difficult and expensive job.

Working out the price is easy. Simply ask an experienced plasterer to give you a quote.

As far as having the whole house rendered, i would advise having it done in-between april and august. I would also warn you that there could be some cracking. This happens on new builds let alone a property that has been re-rendered.

Hope this has been of help, Gordon (G S Thompson Construction)

Answered 28th Feb 2012

G S Thompson Plastering

Member since 22 Feb 2012

you need to have the paint taken off 1 option is a electric scrubber -

but the amount of time it takes doing this and to do a job well its best to take back to brick especialy if its to thick in places. you can buy a sds lockable hammer drill that acts as a breaker put googles on and ear plugs and chissel away.

hope this helps, if so click like

Answered 28th Feb 2012

srr property maintenance

Member since 3 Nov 2011

If the existing render is decayed or blown ,best take all off back to brickwork and redo,typical 3 bed semi ,strip back ,unibond set beads scratch top coat smooth render 5k upwards

Answered 28th Feb 2012


Member since 7 Jun 2008

It depends on what the state of the old render is

Answered 29th Feb 2012

NDL Plastering services

Member since 28 Jul 2008

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plasterers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions