Electrical Question

How to increase ampage on main fuse box

my fuse box is 60 amps, my shower is 40 if i turn on a few more items it trips the switches. How can i increase it to a 100 or 200. I have a 2 bedroom ground floor flat which is right next to the communual power cupboard.

it is a big job?

4 Answers

Best Answer

To increase a supply coming in you need to contact your electricity supplier they usually can increase to 150amps believe it costs between £750 - 1250, but it's worth getting a electrician to take a look first as it's not just a case of 60amp minus 40amps load.

Answered 20th Feb 2012

Eldon Electrical.

Member since 20 Feb 2012

Dear Sanjay_38,

No one can increased your ampere except network (People who managed your main cable which is coming from outside to your property)

I would like to point out your maximum demand for the electricity will never go higher than 50A for a small size of flat. When you switch shower on you are not be able to use other socket or kitchen sockets or any other heavy load!!!

Please check the tripping is happening when you turn everything on or with few appliances.

Your fuse board breaker for shower may be under size or shared more circuit from one breaker.

Also basic check from registered and experience electrician is advisable before you make application to network people as they may charged for this upgrading.

Many thanks


Answered 20th Feb 2012


Member since 27 Sep 2011

Hi Sanjay, first an foremost the maximum demand for a standrard domestic customer within a block of flats is likely to be 60amp. You maybe be able to request that it is upgraded to 100amp, but this will probably require a larger cable to be run in from the street to your flat or from the distribution board in the comunal area?

Either way your Landlord/managing angent and the electricity company will need agree on who owns what equipment and so it could end up costing a £1000 or more.

As you don't say if its the RCD or circuit breaker thats tripping when the shower is on, its difficut to know whether its overload or a possible fault with the shower?

Best bet it to get an electrician in and carry out a neutral to eart insulation resistance and RCD trip test. He/she can also discuss your options and maybe a fuseboard upgrade can reduce/mimise some of these problems without having to have a new mains cable installed.

Hope this helps please click on "lkike" if it does.

Answered 20th Feb 2012

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Hi, If your meter tail cable is 25mm section and your main primary fuse supply is 100 amps, then you can get a new consumer unit of 100 amps and that should be Ok with you.

Answered 20th Feb 2012

DSA Electrical Installations

Member since 24 Dec 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions