Electrical Question

How do you convert an old car headlamp into a pendant hanging light running from mains.

i want to hang a lovely old cav 5 1/2 headlamp in my house and run it from the mains, what would i need to convert it. I assume it would be 12v and need to take 230v main?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Many thanks,


2 Answers

Best Answer

Dear Mark,

You got very unique idea to convert car headlamp holder in to house hold light pendent!!!

Car electrical system mostly works on LV DC and house hold AC 230 V/ 12 V AC with transformers.

You can use LV transformer and connect this holder but I guess you will find difficulties to get LV 12 V AC bulb which can fit in to that old car bulb holder.

Also one extra thing I would like to subject that add RCD protection for this circuit where you going to connect your new invention.

I hope the information given here is helpful.

All the best...

Answered 20th Feb 2012


Member since 27 Sep 2011

transformer of some sort i would imagine ,although never tried headlamps internally b4 lol

Answered 19th Feb 2012


Member since 7 Jun 2008

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions