Chimneys & Fireplaces Question

What trademen do i need for the job?

Hello, I am planning to do some work on our lounge from April so I am getting some quotes. The plan is to get the bottom part of our chimney breast (which has been emptied to fit a screen by the previous owners) rebuilt, install a multi-fuel log burner (with lining of the chimney) but also redecoration (we will need some help with the ceiling which is not even and perhaps some skimming work in some part of the room)

I don't know if I need a builder, a HETAS certified trademan, a decorator, a painter... the best would be to find someone who do it all but does it exist?

Thanks for you help.

4 Answers

Best Answer

good building contractor will organise all this for you

Answered 14th Feb 2012


Member since 7 Jun 2008

Difficult to say without seeing it but I would say you will probably need the services of a builder and a HETAS engineer. Most builders aren't HETAS registered and not all HETAS installers would be capable of doing large scale building works. Can you put up a pic of how it looks now?

Martyn Heywood.
Chimney Care & Repair

Answered 14th Feb 2012

Chimney Care & repair Ltd

Member since 4 Jul 2011

Any work to the chimney normally needs building authority permission. A HETAS engineer is authorised to grant this and will issue the building certificate via HETAS. Depends on the person doing the job as to what other skills they have to finish off any building and decorating work.

Answered 29th Feb 2012

severnside stoves and chimneys

Member since 22 Feb 2012

A good , experienced building company can provide all this in House. The log burning stove can be installed by a Hetas Engineer or under a application through building control by the building company. Generally the fees are pretty high for stoves with building control so the Hetas route may be slightly cheaper. Either way one company should handle this if wanted.

Answered 8th Jul 2012

MS Projects LTD

Member since 18 Nov 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Chimney & Fireplace Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions