Ask a tradesman

Carpentry & Joinery

Joist repair by previous owner - floorboards unsupported at one end

The previous owner has had some repairs done to a floor joist, but it looks like it was replaced with a smaller beam - there's about 4 floorboards are unsupported at one end and bow when stood on.


Am I good to just glue and nail/bolt an extra piece of wood on the side and bring it up to level for the boards to sit on? Or is this more involved and I need expert support?

2 Answers from MyBuilder Carpenters & Joiners

Best Answer

Bolting on the side is one way of doing it, I would suggest using quite wide joist so at least 2/3 of it is overlapping the existing joist.


Answered 19th Feb 2019

Yes, I would recommend piece of timber bolted to the joist so the floor boards are sitting on something solid. You can use a 4" by 2" timber and ideally use 100mm "timber lock" screws in M10 thickness to join the two timbers. These will make sure the timber doesn't become loose over time through usage. Then simply screw the floor boards to the new timber.


Answered 20th Feb 2019

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories