Hire a tradesperson!

Post your job for free and without obligation
More than 207833 connected tradespeople
Over 2335762 verified reviews

Ask a tradesperson

Question category:

Restoration & Refurbishment

Party wall agreement

Anonymous user 28 January 2019 - 8.25 PM

We Have planning permission for a single storey side extension for a bathroom.We live in a semi detached house and since we have a common wall realise we might need part wall agreement.Just wondering if the neighbors will oppose to the extension.How is it we got a planning permission granted. The cost for party wall surveying seems so high.please advice

2 answers from MyBuilder tradespeople

Envisage PMS Ltd
Rating: 5 out of 5553 reviews

Planning permission and party wall agreements are two different, although related, things. There is helpful information and examples of letters/agreements on the gov.uk website, including an explanatory booklet if you want to read 55 pages! I don't see why you need an expensive party wall survey, you should be able to handle the process with simple and clear written/email communication. No idea whether neighbours would oppose, but there is a process of 'dispute resolution' you can go through if they do.


29 January 2019


Rating: 5 out of 5553 reviews

if you have your planning permission then the neighbours cannot object to that. With the party wall you can do it yourself - see here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/party-wall-etc-act-1996-guidance I always advise getting a surveyor if you suspect there may be a contentious issue.


12 March 2019