Damp Proofing Question

We have a 19th c house with mould that effects only on one side of the house. brick work seems pourous. insulation problem?

We think it could be effected by outside wall of house and poor drainage from next door neighbours driveway which runs against the wall? Is this possible?

2 Answers

Best Answer

Without seeing the problem its hard to call. Certainly no water should be directed towards any building and if that is nessasary then i would expect to see a linear drain in front of the property to catch rainwater. But there could be a few reasons why one side is damp, possible damp course failure? Height of ground more than 150mm below damp course? Leaking down pipe from gutter? Overflow pipe leaking? Roof leaking? Damaged guttering? Leaking bathroom pipework... The list is pretty large. Your next step is to invite estimates from mybuilder.com and get a professional view from a local tradesman.

Answered 3rd Feb 2012

Local patios and driveways

Member since 24 Jan 2012

The ground should be minimum 150mm below your dpc/and finish floor level.
Your neighbours drive shouldnt be running to your outside wall.
You might have to fit some atco drainage channels.

Answered 3rd Feb 2012


Member since 29 Oct 2008

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Damp Proofing Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions