Chimneys & Fireplaces Question

Urgent: how to remove a gas inset fire and surround and create opening for decorative purposes

Hi. i currently have a Paragon 2000 inset Gas fire (natural Gas) and fire surround/hearth which I've tired of. I want to remove it and create a larger opening (approx 1m - 1.2m wide) but only use it as a decorative opening (eg: stack logs in it).
It is current in a Brick/Block Chimney which is external and the Fire sits on a flat wall internally
However i do want the opening to be able to accommodate in the future a Hole in Wall Gas Fire if I change my mind so taking into consideration:
Height from floor, Height/width and depth of opening and min allowance for a TV to be mounted above.
At present my TV is above the fireplace but above a Mantel and quite high up but i want to lower it and understand it cannot be directly above a Gas fire unless it is inset into a wall or there is a shelf/Mantel or trim around the Gas Fire to protect the TV.
So taking into consideration the above I would like my builder to do the Temporary Hole and Corgi registered Gas fitter to Cap off the Gas supply, so I can at least lower the TV and get rid of the current fire now. If I come to install a NEW Gas fire (hole in Wall type) then I will of course use a specialist Fire company/installer

So please can you advise on how best to do this and if at all possible.

The Chimneys measurements and the widest point/section externally are:
1.79m wide x 2.30m high x 56cm deep. The house is 3 storey and of Brick/block Cavity wall construction and 16 years old. There is an airbrick in the room and the Chimney has a T Cowl at the top with cages at each open end to stop Birds etc getting in.

Urgent request as builders are in now doing other work.
thanks in advance

1 Answer

Best Answer

I am doing a fireplace just like this in a few weeks. You need a Gas safe registered engineer to disconnect and cap off the gas mains for you. Go to a supplier where you might get your new hole in the wall gas fire and find out the dimensions and how far the fire needs to be from combustibles. After that, you can give the information to you builder so they know where and what size chamber to create in the chimney breasts. They would do this by supporting the wall with props and fitting new lintels above where the new opening is going to be. Then block up the bottom section of the old chamber by building from the ground up with bricks or blocks. In between taking the current fire out and creating the new chamber for the hole in the wall fire, you may need to gas safe engineer to come back in and reroute the gas supply to where you are likely to need it for the new fire. Then a plasterer will come in and make good the plastering around the new chamber/opening. When you come to have a new fire installed you will need to contact a HETAS registered engineer to install a flue liner in the chimney and have the gas safe engineer back in to connect the new fire.

Answered 29th Sep 2018

County Conservation

Member since 28 Sep 2018

No feedback

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Chimney & Fireplace Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions