Ask a tradesman


Inspection of electrics.

HI, I am thinking of getting a new consumer unit and I'm aware that the electrical wiring will need to be tested beforehand. Does the electrician that does the testing also do the re wiring of the house if it needs to be done? If so is it not in the interests of the electrical contractor for the test to fail and re wiring be needed? If there is a worst case outcome and the flat needs re wiring what would be the ball park cost of this be?. I'm a little anxious about hiring someone to change the consumer board and then finding out I have to give them thousands( that I don't have) to re wire the flat. What would be the best way to approach this? I realise I may be over thinking it. Any advice would be gratefully received.

3 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

Get a E.I.C.R Electrical inspection carried out on your property 1st, this will flag up all issues, before any works commences (costs for EICR range from (£99 to £200 depending on size of property and number of circuits)
Remember that if a new fuse board is fitted the electrician must be Part P and issue you with a certificate of works( once changing a fuse board he/she is responsible for whole of the electrics on the certificate)


Answered 12th Sep 2018

First step I would take is get an electrician who has there 17th edition and recognised by a governing body (NICEIC,NAPIT,STROMA). To carry out a perodic inspection then they will show you what faults there may be and if they can be rectified. Then when everything is safe for the go ahead of the mains board change make sure you get a certificate upon completion.
RBASSETT electrical


Answered 12th Sep 2018

As stated it is wise to have a condition report done first, this will highlight any issues prior to the consumer unit replacement.
Little issues such as crossed neutrals in light circuits will cause the sensitive RCDs in the new consumer unit to trip, it then can take hours to identify and locate the issue costing mor money and time.

The report is only as good as the time spent on it ie 4hrs is a minimum acceptable time on a standard property.

Also use a contractor with level 3 2391 inspection and testing qualification.

Don’t think that using a registered person will get you a good job believe me I follow around a few sparks on here correcting work !!!! Be warned.

Use the competent person register to select a spark ask for references and don’t go for the cheapest quote.

NJC Electrical Services


Answered 3rd Oct 2018

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories