Architectural Services Question

Crack in external wall (rear of the house)

We have a 1930s house. When we bought the house 2 yrs ago, surveyor pointed out a crack in the external wall at the rear of the house. His report said that the crack appears to be due to some movement in past but there is no evidence to suggest that it's ongoing. At the rear, I have got a bedroom and kitchen below the bedroom - crack starts from the bottom of window of bedroom and comes down upto the window of kitchen. I am wondering if this is something which can be repaired 'easily' and would i need to take a buildings certificate as well after repair?


2 Answers

You need Structural Engineer to look at it, he will advise you if any works need doing.

Answered 26th Jan 2012


Member since 29 Oct 2008

Subsidence cracks should be monitored and an investigation done as to the cause. Not all cracks however are down to structural movement and some Surveyors note this in the survey reports to cover themselves and surveys are usually not that thorough. Perhaps in the first instance get a reputable Builder out to take a look as it might not be what the Surveyor first thought.

Answered 6th Mar 2012

Tendring Design

Member since 28 Nov 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Architectural Services who can help you with your project.

Search all questions