Electrical Question

Is the tradesman or house owner responsible for notifying the lbc for any electric work?

8 Answers

Best Answer

If you have hired a registered electrician who is a member of one of the various comptent persons schemes e.g. NICEIC etc, then its their job to self certify the work and notify building control on your behalf.

If they have not done this then you need to find out why asap! as its the householder who is liablie for the £5000 fine if the work is not notified and if it does not comply to part P standards.

If you would like to explain your concern in more detail, i.e. the work you have had carried out etc I may be able to help further.

Please click on "like" if the above is any help.

Answered 19th Jan 2012

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

If you are using a self-certifying electrician-he is responsible for that.
Any electrical work undertaken in a house must be done by qualified electrician and part P registered-ask him about his registration number and ring the relevant body to double check.
Also ask to see public liability insurance for a piece of mind.

Answered 19th Jan 2012

Elman Ltd

Member since 6 Nov 2010

The electricain under part p building regs must do this under self certification
Like under do

Answered 19th Jan 2012


Member since 8 Oct 2008

not down to the house owner if an electrician is with elecsa which i am myself elecsa notifies building control on my behalf if not registered and work is notifiable a fee must be paid to building control to check works done and test installation if electrician is not capable of doing this hope this helps

Answered 20th Jan 2012

d b k electrical

Member since 28 Nov 2011

hi i thought that the whole ideal of paying yearly to a part p body such as elecsa, nappit, niceic, corgi/benchmark ect is they are guarenteing your work . if it is not done correctly and a complaint is made and not rectified some one from that body will send some one to sort it out and the person will be struck off .

Answered 24th Jan 2012

GreenHaus Electrical

Member since 24 Jan 2012

If you use a Part P approved trades person, they will inform their trade body who will in turn inform your LBC of notifiable work.
If you do not use a Part P registered person the householder has to inform the LBC before commencing work, they will inspect and charge you for the inspection. You will better off using a registered trades person, but ensure you see their registration card before they start any work

Answered 19th Jan 2012

shipley electrical

Member since 25 Oct 2010

If you engage a part P approved contractor, they will self certify the work and notify Building Control via Elecsa (or one of the others). If you use anyone else then you would notify building control and they would arrange to supervise the work which will be more time consuming and costly.

Answered 19th Jan 2012

ICM Electrical Services Limited

Member since 10 Nov 2011

not sure what LBC is, but under part P rules it is down to the tradesman to notify the governing body, NICEIC, Elecsa or NAPIT

Answered 19th Jan 2012

LV Electrical

Member since 20 Jan 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions