Ask a tradesman

Plastering

Crumbling walls and excessive damp. rising damp and high damp

Hello i rent my house privately and have been here for past 4 years. the problem is we seem to have damp wall in every room downstairs. the utility area the two external walls only are damp from top to bottom also got black mould which i keep having to clean off. dining room is rising damp as its at the bottom and come just under a meter up the wall and is crumbling. living room is again the external wall we recently decorated after airing it out for months as landlord had said it was condensation. but since we have decorated the paper has lines in it and its getting white mould on it at bottom so im assuming this is rising damp too. Everytime the landlord comes out he says its condensation and tells us to open windows but its never improves and now that the wall it crumbling does that mean its still wet as landlord keeps saying it has dried. he also put a vent in which tbh hasnt really helped. what could anyone suggest i do its seems like im fighting a losing battle as rent is paid upto date but he never seems to fix anything.

thank you for answering my post I have contacted my local councils environmental health department.and imformed them of my problems and someone is contacting me back and the next step after that will be that a council officer will be visiting my home and then they will inform the landlord on work that needs doing. As I already have health issues that im not sure is down to the damp and mould. So all's good thanks again guys you have been very helpful :)

4 Answers from MyBuilder Plasterers

Best Answer

Hi ,
From what you are describing it sounds like penetrative damp in some areas and rising in others as you say that ventilation hasnt sorted it.
I would suggest you pay for a surveyor to inspect your damp issues and prove it is or isnt rising or penetrative damp for sure and ask him or her for a report .
That way you can go to your landlord with an expert report that you can use to persuade him or her that it needs sorting.
I have a feeling the landlord knows there`s a problem but doesnt want to spend the large amounts of money it will require to sort the damp issues you have.
If it is proved there is an issue and the landlord ignores it then i would advise you to leave as soon as possible as mould and damp cause all sorts of health issues and can be very bad for you.
Regards Mark

2018-06-21T12:40:02+01:00

Answered 21st Jun 2018

There are a lot of different reasons for dampness in a property, just because its at the bottom does not mean its rising damp,
Rising damp is misdiagnosed in over 75% of cases rising to 0ver 95% in older properties, without looking at the issue it is impossible to say exactly
what is causing it.
the council now have the power to either fix the issues if your landlord wont or stop your land lord being able to rent a defective property out,
I would also visit your doctor and ask if the dampness can be causing your issues and if so could he please put it in writing
Good luck Alex

2018-06-21T21:20:02+01:00

Answered 21st Jun 2018

This is usually caused by drying clothes inside the property or not having sufficient ventilation when cooking or showering, or leaking washing machine or the tumble dryer needs proper ventilation

If that is not the issue then it could be a number of other things like rain water seeping in under the foundation from faulty exterior concreting

99 times out of a 100 its one of the issues above

Its always best to get a specialist to check it out

2019-02-28T18:45:01+00:00

Answered 28th Feb 2019

ADR are 90% correct. The other 10% is the rest of the rising damp misdiagnosed, taking it to 100%. There is always a reason(s) for moisture from drainage blockages, high ground levels, poor subfloor ventilation, bridged damp proof course, external defect categorised as "penetrating damp" which is again a simplistic phrase that can cover dozens of different defects and cannot be remedied by replastering.
The conditions need to be examined, defects identified, and repairs carried out. Tenants do contribute to issues but you can discount your part by buying a cheap hygrometer from a garden centre for less that £10 which will show you the level of moisture you create in the house. Moisture level between 45 and 55% is ideal.
And it also depends the method of construction of the house, age etc

2019-05-23T21:30:02+01:00

Answered 23rd May 2019

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories