Ask a tradesman
How to prevent weed growing when laying new patio
My garden is full of soil atm and has weed growing in it. I would like to turn the garden into a paved patio with slab stones. But before i get there i need to know what can be done to prevent weed growing through the gaps of the stones and along edges of wall etc? Please advise on as many successful proven methods as possible
2 Answers from MyBuilder Landscape Gardeners
Any patio should have a membrane (weed barrier) a heavy duty weed control membrane should be layed before your patio this will prevent any weed growth.
Answered 12th Jun 2018
Lay a good solid base of Scalpings & Grit below your slabs.
Weeds will not grow up from below this.
However weeds on patios are almost always from birds leaving their business that contains seeds, and from the wing blowing seeds onto the patio where it sits in the grout and germinates.
Protect your patio after laying with a sealant and keep your patio clean is what we recommend.
Answered 23rd Oct 2018
Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet & Lino
- Central Heating
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Waste Clearance
- Fascias, Soffits & Guttering
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Hard Flooring
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery
- How much work do I need to do to be 'Satisfactory'
- Getting new combi boiler installed, radiators and pipes need changing - how to remove flooring when have heavy furniture
- Not sure if lino tiles will have to be removed & how long for screed to dry
- HELP please !!! how to remove Rust stains from Silver/Grey Indian sandstone