Chimneys & Fireplaces Question

Can i use my fire with my tv on the breast wall?

Ive recently bought a house which has a coal fire. I have put a plasma tv on the wall directly above. Will the heat be too much for it? Also i am unsure weather it has been cleaned? i have burnt paper on it and seen smoke out of the chimney. does this mean its clear?

2 Answers

Best Answer

100% agree with the above. Heat will be too much and could damage the tv. Either change to a low output gas fire or rethink on where the tv is going to go. Definately get the flue swept by a sweep who issues you a certificate. Just because it is drawing doesn't mean there isn't 10yrs worth of soot ready to fall/ignite the first time you light a fire. For £40 it's not worth the risk!

Www.chimneycareandrepair.co.uk

Answered 10th Jan 2012

Chimney Care & repair Ltd

Member since 4 Jul 2011

I wouldnt advise having a tv fitted above an open fire, apart from heat generated by the tv the breast wall will get quiet hot.
You should have your chimney swept by a registered sweep and a smoke test done.

Answered 10th Jan 2012

B J D BUILDING/ROOFING

Member since 29 Oct 2008

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Chimney & Fireplace Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions