Bricklaying Question

I need a garden wall built about 70 foot long with 1 gate and about 4 foot high there is an old four and a half wall to come down


6 Answers

Best Answer

There are to many equations in the building trade to give a price for your work with the basic details you have given.
Example I was told over the phone the size of a wall which was quoted as 2ft high, when I got there to measure up it was in fact 5ft high.
These type of jobs need to be measured up on site, and assess issues such as access.
Best to post your requirements on this site and get at least 3 prices.

Answered 18th Mar 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

go on my builder and look for a bricklayer in your area he will then request a site visit to quote for the work

Answered 18th Mar 2011

Finebuild Builders

Member since 26 Feb 2009

This is easy to dismantle and then construct, with a new concrete footing with a 9 inch wall 4 feet high in a brick of your choosing, what is your question please?

Answered 18th Mar 2011


Member since 3 Dec 2010

hi,you have to make sure that the footings are ok when the wall comes down.with 9inch brickwork being that long i would recommmend putting in piers either end ,because you need support for gate and a pier in the middle and then between the piers you can do brick on edge to cap and raise your piers up about 5 courses and cap with brick on edge to finish.if you want strengh then do it in english bond many thanks nick

Answered 18th Mar 2011

kentish builder

Member since 14 Jul 2009

You could either remove the old wall ,which will have to be skipped , or build your new wall in front ,using your old wall as hard core if possible ,saving on skip costs. Building the new wall is pretty straight forward, it will need a concrete foundationand built with a brick, stone or block of your choice. Block is the cheapest to build with, the choice is yours.

Answered 18th Mar 2011

Coates Construction

Member since 26 Nov 2010

No feedback

hi you would have to take down existing wall check footings to see if adaquate to build new wall on you would build w
newnine inche wall i would recomend putting acouple of expansion joints in wall with it being 70 foot long to stop any potentialcracking through settlement

Answered 17th Apr 2011

dpc builders

Member since 18 Nov 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Bricklayers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions