Painting & Decorating Question

How to paint over a patch of repaired plaster?

We have just moved into a new flat and wanted to paint the bedroom. We noticed the paint peeling in one section of the wall where it looks like some repairs had been done and the section had been replastered.

The paint on the rest of the walls are several coats thick, and as this is a new plastered section the colour is different as it's only one coat thick. The paint is also peeling off the new plaster to reveal it below.

How can I re-paint this section and smooth it down and make it match the rest of the walls?

Any help would be much appreciated.


2 Answers

Best Answer

Hi,sorry but if you wish this be be done to a decent liver able standard then my advice would be to abrade "sand" all the painted walls and the part which is peeling.
Take a litre of emulsion once you've abraded to a equal and paintable surface and mix your emulsion with 2 litres of water,paint or roll it on thr surface area when dry you can then paint your decoration paint on at least 2 coats to get an even finish.
It's obvious where you was peeling someone has just painted over it without considering the after effects of painting onto new plaster without using the correct procedure,which is a primer sealer,miscoat then finish coat. Or miscoat then 2 coats of finish coat.
This is usually the work of cowboys or a maintenance firm trying to cut costs buy not getting in a decorator to finish the job and have left the plasterer to do it.
These people do not think for one moment it is going to cost someone down the line money to do the necessary repair works to the damage,or they just aren't bothered.
Anyway hope this helps.
Kind regards
Chris spence.
Ps your miscoat can be a white cheap emulsion and remember to mix with water so it's thinned down to almost water,you want the thickness of a milkshake.

Answered 23rd Dec 2011

Bright Painting & Decorating Services

Member since 18 Nov 2011

I could not have put it any better than the first reply to your question. If you still can't get it right then I would contact the above decorating services who seem to know what they are taking about, hope they are in your area.
Paint-Plus Renovations & Decorators. 13th Jan 2012.

Answered 13th Jan 2012

Paint-Plus Renovations & Decorators

Member since 22 Jul 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Painters & Decorators who can help you with your project.

Search all questions