Restoration & Refurbishment Question

French doors - planning permission

I live in a ground floor victorian conversion flat and would like to replace one of my back windows with french doors. I understand I need to comply with building regs in terms of the type of doors I fit, but am I right in thinking I don't need planning permission for the work? (I don't live in a conservation area). Any advice greatly appreciated - thanks.

5 Answers

Best Answer

depending were you live if you go to your concil and ask for a form for fitting windows and doors the cost is around £65 to £95 thay will call and take a look before thay are fitted and after thay are fitted you do not have to be fensa reg
as long as thay are fitted right and the right glass you will be fine it cost less if you use a fenca company and thay can do all the paper work for you hope this helps

Answered 19th Mar 2011


Member since 11 Jun 2008

You shouldn`t need planning permission, but you'll need regs unless you use a FENSA company.

Answered 17th Mar 2011

Architech Planning services

Member since 8 Jan 2009

you will not need planning permission,a good builder should let you know what size catnic you will need and glass for doors will need to be safety glass.hope this helps

Answered 17th Mar 2011


Member since 9 Nov 2010

Speak to your local council building/planning department, they will tell you what you need.
Regarde Roger

Answered 21st Apr 2011

Odd job Rog

Member since 30 May 2008

you will probably be ok ,but it only takes a little time to get in touch with your council and ask them this way you will know exactly where you stand hope this helps

Answered 16th Mar 2011

Finebuild Builders

Member since 26 Feb 2009

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Restoration & Refurb Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions