Restoration & Refurbishment Question

I need to change layout of my apartment?

My apartment got an open plan kitchen, but I am not happy with its lay out. I would like to make changes in it, moving my kitchen to different place, converting my living area into room and room into living area. I would like to know what are the rules and regulation involved in this process. Regarding planing permision or permission from my land lord, as it is a leashold property. Thanks

Thanks for your valuable answers. Can you please let me know is there any third part, who should I consult and they carry on all of my paper work strarting from design to implementation (taking all permissions from my landlord to building regulations), so I know how much exactly it will cost me all together? I can understand there are two phases involve in this project, one is to get permission and second one is implementation. I would like to know exact qoute for both phases seperately or combined. Thanks

2 Answers

Best Answer

hi there, firstly you need to get permision from your landlord, and that he agrees with your alterations.then you will need to consult an arichitact,to draw up some plans,then you will have to forward plans,to local council. and hopefully they will aprove them. ? then you can get on with the alterations you itend to do !!!! hope this helps you!!!! yours sincerley D&D BUILDERS !!!!!! DAVID********

Answered 14th Dec 2011


Member since 14 Apr 2010

Dear Shaby125,

Your lease will probably contain a covenant stipulating that you can't make internal alterations without landlord's consent, consent not to be unreasonably withheld. What this means is that provided you are not in breach of covenant (arrears,damage, subletting etc) then consent will be granted although your landlord will probably charge a fee for the alterations licence.

In addition, whilst you wouldn't need planning consent, you would need Building Regulations Approval for structural work, and some plumbing work and all electrical work would need to be certified as building regs compliant by the contractors concerned, assuming they're accredited. If they're not accredited, you will need to contact the Building Control Department at your local council to obtain approval directly.

Before you ask anyone to start work, you should seriously consider getting some to scale floor plans drawn up.This might seem like a hassle and an unnecessary expense but it's worth it; it not only avoids misunderstandings with your builder about his brief but is also essential to achieving a good, workable layout.

Hope this helps.

Amanda Martin

Answered 14th Dec 2011

Handmaiden Interior Design and Property Improvement

Member since 9 Dec 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Restoration & Refurb Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions